From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 13:12:55 -0500
'Chopper has gained a little weight!!!!!!  (She weighs more now 2 and 1/2
hours since her last meal -- know this because she was taking a nap outside
the cage in some of my softest clothes which Ashling pulled down -- than she
did two days ago right after pigging out.  She has gained about one and a
half ounces!!!!!) THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Troy Lynn for telling us
about Viokase and Bruce Williams, Debbie Kemmerer and Eric Stauber for
letting us know it's safe, and Kathy Quensenberry for suggesting that we go
with a heavy hit against a possible helicobacter flare-up, and Erno Hollo
and Hanan Caine and the rest at the Basking Ridge Animal Hospital for doing
her purse-string and taking such good care of her.  For a good while longer
she will be on the Viokase, Amoxi, Metronidazole (It was compounded with
tutti-frutti flavour and she doesn't mind it as much as the pepto this time
by Belvidere Pharmacy 1-908-756-6695.).  Her sudden one-week bout of all
pudding stools has ended, with her having a mix now but most formed or
partly formed.  We are also adding rice water to her AD to help her prolapse
surgery hold.  If things get worse again the probable next step is now
thought to be prednisone.  (Yes, we know that in her case things like
intestinal lymphoma are possibilities, but we're still hoping and trying,
and this latest improvement makes such nasties less likely.)

The only test for the form of pancreatic damage which typically calls for
Viokase can't be tested for in ferrets yet -- the tests are cat and dog
specific -- but you know how bad she was, and you know how bad Troy Lynn's
little one the Viokase first worked with was, so MAYBE it's time to wonder
IF either helicobacter or ECE could cause a form of pancreatic damage in
some of them which progresses to wasting.  It may be a problem with a
solution and investigating one of those has got to be a special treat.

Pooh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>How many ferrets out there are being killed yet due to bite (or so called)
>incidents?  Even in those states observing the Compendium.  As of November
>New Jersey and Pennsylvania are "supposed" to be observing the Compendium
>but as I've heard .... quite a few pet store Kits in New Jersey lost their
>life for "supposed" bite incidents, since the Compendium has been observed.

WHAT?????  WHERE?????  PLEASE send me details and the source of the
information so that I can make Dr. Sorhage aware if it is a health
department ordering it counter to New Jersey's rules.  You SPECIFICALLY
wrote "pet store".  If a pet store is killing ferrets this is against the
animal cruelty laws here and it IS possible with a written compliant to get
the Fish and Game Department, the Associated Humane Societies, and often the
breeder (Yes, including Marshall Farms -- I HAVE personally seen them go
after a pet store for failure to provide reasonable conditions which Steve
and I reported a few years back.) to go after the store.

Re: ferret ties.  Dee, We hired Linda Gaylord ([log in to unmask],
1-800-582-4738) to make these up for our vet and passed on some ties as well
as giving their source, but then got word that a possible move was coming up
and all was in disarray.  Don't know if life has calmed down for her yet, or
if she had any success since this was a new type of project for her.

Sukie