From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 1996 23:02:44 -0400
Hello FMLers,

Through sheer hard work and dedication to this wonderful species, gains in
both legalization and a rational approach to the rabies scare have been made
in various states, cities, and counties.  I think the ferret community can
look back on the last 12 months with a lot of pride in these selfless
efforts that have resulted in real change: MA legalization, NH rabies
quarentine, Baltimore, MD legalization, MD rabies quarentine, Plano , TX
legalization and rabies quarentine in the state of Texas.  Not to mention a
very large and positive step from HSUS in recognizing the ferret as a
domesticated companion animal.

I will be updating my Legalization article for Ferrets, USA and want to make
sure that I highlight each and every gain made on these fronts.  It's great
news to those of us in CA because these are all chinks in the armor of DFG.
I need to hear from those of you in the front lines (Sharon & Bill in MA,
Diane in MD, Patricia and Mike in Plano to name a few).  And what I really
need to know are the gains in any cities or counties that have happened
since last summer that I haven't mentioned earlier.  Did Salt Lake county
legalize?  I heard it did.  How about any other counties or cities.  If you
know of a location that recently legalized ferrets, please let me know.

I also want to highlight the positive changes in the way bites are handled.
Please let me know if I'm missing any other state or county that has since
come to their senses on this issue.  This kind of information is critical to
help battle the fringe positions taken by such folks as Susan Jenkins of Va
(see the Life rabies page for more information:
http://members.gnn.com/AcmeFerret/lifepage/rabies.html.

I need to have the article completed by August 15th, so please let me know
ASAP.

Thanks, and congratulations to you all--  someday it will be out turn.

Jeanne Carley
Legislative Director
Ferret Legalization in California