From:
"Kimberly S. Chung" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 13:29:19 -0500
Hi--
Are there any things I should look out for when my ferrets are playing so
they won't injure each other?  Isabella is 2 years old, and Jane is 14 weeks
old.  The first time they 'played,' Isabella grabbed Jane's neck and dragged
her under the bed where I couldn't reach them.  As expected, a noisy tussle
ensued.  That was about a month ago.  Ever since then, they've been really
happy together.  Isabella has been quite a teacher -- how to get into the
bathtub, the proper sequence of steps needed to get up to the plants, hidey
holes that I apparently don't know of, etc.

But...occassionally, when they're not playing hide-and-seek around a door or
seeing who can jump the highest and dook the longest, their playing seems
rough.  Even though Isabella is still quite a bit bigger than Jane, Jane is
a lot more aggressive and hyper.  For example, if Isabella is sleeping when
she 'shouldn't be,' Jane grabs her ear and shakes it with all her might.
Sometimes they lock mouths when they're biting each other or bite really
close to their eyes.  Naturally, I separate them whenever anything like this
happens.  Do I have reason to worry or should I let them continue?

I also have two other questions.
1) Do any of you have ferrets that wag their tails?  I promise you all
that Jane does it ...especially when she's playing hide-and-seek.  I'm
not talking about a casual wag now and then -- I'm talking about vigorous
movement!!

2) Do any of you long-haired readers dry your hair with your head hanging
down?  If so, how long does it usually take you to disentangle the ferret
once it becomes 'trapped'?  This is one of the few games that Jane taught
Isabella.  :)

Kimberly Chung