From:
Vesna Kovach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 14:41:12 +0000
>Get a hard plastic tube (drain pipe, or even stiff dryer hose), cut it to
>the length of the gate and slit the tube all the way down the side.  Then
>place the tube over the top of the gate.  The ferret now has no grip on the
>top of the gate because of the tube.

This solution has worked for us for about six months now.  No "escapees"
yet.  We used 5 inch PVC tubing.  The leftover tubing makes a great ferret
tunnel toy!

Our little girl ferrets could get their heads caught in the diamond-shaped
mesh of the baby gate.  And would, given half a chance.  So we lined the
panels of the gates with panels of heavy-duty corrugated cardboard.  We
fastened them on with staples.  It's held firm with no deterioration or
chew-off for close to a year now.

We cage up the ferrets at bedtime and give them run-around space within
their (non-carpeted!) enclosure during the day.  This space of about 150
square feet is space enough for cozy places and fun toys.  It includes a
bathroom and a hallway, so the same space serves duty for functional human
space as well as ferret space.  It even includes the floor of the linen
closet, which now harbors a square of carpet, some favorite toys, and a
trusty towel.  How do they get in and out?  They just flatten down and slide
under the door.  They love it in there.

Plus, they get expanded-territory human-interaction playtime once or twice a
day into other parts of the house.  We move the gates around to redefine
their space.  It feels a little like living in a canal with adjustable
locks!  We like this a lot better than our original system of keeping them
in the cage unless we're actively playing with them.  And we hope they do,
too!  :-)

Vesna Kovach
Editor, Madison Pet Gazette
(608) 249-8707

If you love animals, you'll love the Madison Pet Gazette!
Now featuring: Cameron the ferret's change of heart...nail clipping
tips...ferret bite law reform...protect your pet from common household
toxins..."If I were a favored cat"..."My schnauzers: the guardians of the
yard"...more

Go ahead, click on over to http://www.petgazette.net (it rhymes!)
Cover story changes often!