From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:48:23 -0500
I would like to share my observations with you and welcome you to do the
same with me and others on the FML forum.  Recogniging pain in our ferrets
is essential to helping bring about relief for them.  I have learned a
couple of things through personal experiences with my beloved ferrets but
want to know more.  I know, as many of you do, that teeth grinding is a
sign of pain for a ferret.  It can be a sign of an ulcer, (Dr. Bruce
Williams ) OR it can signal pain of other origins.  I learned as a nurse
that tense muscles, trembling, and inability to relax are signs of pain in
humans.  I have no doubt that when I see this in my terminally ill ferrets
that they are also in pain or very uncomfortable at the least.  Inactivity,
lethargy, a change of habits, less playful than usual, are all signs of
trouble.  There may be other signs that you could share through the forum.
Please do so.  I am unclear as to all the options available for our ferrets
in pain relief.  We depend on our skilled ferret vets to relieve their pain
when it is obvious that it is needed.  I am of the conclusion that vet med
is somewhat in the dark ages when it comes to relieving animals' pain
sometimes.  I said sometimes, now.  I had one doctor tell me that he was
reluctant to prescribe pain med for serious pain (injecatables) in animals
because he was afraid that the people would use it on themselves.
Well------WHAT?  Isn't that convenient?  I don't mean to step on any toes
here, but what if all the MD's (doctors for humans) had that opinion and
paranoia?  We would be in a world of hurt wouldn't we?  It is not that way
for us, generally, and we are more often than not relieved of our pain.
Now, I did say generally, didn't I?  There are always a lot of exceptions
to every rule.  I am wandering from the mission of my message.  Sorry.
If you are using some effective, safe, vet approved treatments for your
ferrets' pain management I hope you will consider sharing it through the
forum.  Also if you have some tips on how others can "pick up" on the fact
that their ferrets are in pain or may be in pain, share that too.  Like
with people, pain is an indicator that something is wrong, physically.
Usually there is a remedy or some help for the problem.  You could be
helping a lot of little ferrets get the help they need to be more
comfortable.  Dr. Williams suggests carafate as a treatment for ulcers in
ferrets, NOT tagamet.  Further, he suggests that tagamet may be
contra-indicated!  I have his handout if anyone would like to have a copy.
I used carafate successfully on my ferrets twice and cured their ulcers.
The more time you spend with your ferrets, the more familiar you will
become with their feeling good times and their feeling not so good, or
downright in pain.  Ferrets need several hours of your attention every
single day, through play, cuddling, physical attention like grooming and
giving treats, etc.  Too many little ferrets are put in a cage and
forgotten.Some people are truly unaware of their ferrets' need for
socialization.  They are safer of course in their cage if their home is
not ferret-proofed or if they are not closely supervised when out.  But
what a lonely, tortured life they live.  If you know of someone who has
ferrets in these circumstances, reach out and teach those ferret parents
how to make a better life for their ferrets.  There is more than one kind
of pain.  :o( But you can make a difference -- :o)

God bless and happy ferreting!
From Jan and the furry 11 at Gracie's Place in the Land of Oz