From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 01:45:51 -0400
>... Although I do believe that PETA is quite radical at times, pictures
>and all the facts that support the evidence only give weight to this link.
>
>Sorry my first post is a rant, but this subject touches a raw nerve in me.
>
>Sincerely Grace and her fuzzy trio Furball, Kit, and Delphina, plus one
>skin-kid, Cynthia

I have only been receiving the FML for a little less than a year now, and
one thing I have noticed is that topics tend to cycle around and one of
the hot debate topics is the MF one.

I am not one to defend a large company whose main objective is to make
money, but you guys do realize they are a huge breeding farm, which means
they are not going to have the ferrets sleeping in the bed with them and
hand raising the babies.

They are the most easy to recognize as far as what breed your ferret is.
This skews the numbers when one is saying that a ferret that is ill was a
MF ferret, or the ones in the pet store were MF ferrets.  If 75% of the
ferrets out there are sold from MF, then if 75% of the ferrets that have
adrenal tumors are MF it means nothing.  (made up numbers)

I don't think I want to see how large breeding farms keep their ferrets,
as long as they pass inspections and follow guidelines.  I couldn't help
but feel bad for the ferrets.  Have you ever seen how fish are kept prior
to sale (pet fish), or hamsters, rabbits,etc.?

What can be done?  Don't buy a ferret from a pet store.  Call MF to report
any store that is not caring for the ferrets properly- like no water, or
ill animals, or too small a cage for the number of ferrets.  Educate the
store managers, and try to be nice about it.

I am sure other large scale breeders have problems as well.  In fact,
I have yet to find an animal in a pet store that is cared for to "my
standards".  From the fish, to the birds, to the puppies and ferrets.
They are also out there to make a profit.  I know there are smaller
stores, or ones with managers who do a real good job, but it is still
only their job.

It isn't fair to single out one store chain or one breeder.

Patty

BTW, the PetCo's I have seen have been taking better
care of the ferrets,moistened food, larger cages, etc.