From:
Lynn Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:26:11 -0400
A few weeks or so ago you might remember Millie Sanders posting for me that
I was looking to adopt a brother for George who is blind & the only guy
among 6 girls.  A sweet lady, Jeanine from Ferret Rescue at Mutt Management
in Sarasota go tin touch with me about a sweetie she had there who was
looking for a home.  Unfortunately Stevie never made it here, due to health
problems.  At about the same time another very kind lady got in touch with
me about a lonely blind guy she had.  Margie from Margie's FLO Hangout.
She had Bart, a big sweet, guy who's cage mates didn't have much to do with
so he was often left alone.  Would I be interested in him?  Need you ask?
Of course.  So arrangements were made to ship Bart to me via air.  I was so
excited about getting him & just couldn't wait until he got here.

Finally the day arrived that Bart was coming in.  I had wanted to be at
the airport waiting for him, but he got in first.  Very nice people at
Continental.  He was in his carrier right by the desk.  Oh I was so excited
at welcoming him & giving him a brother & sisters who would love him &
play & cuddle with him When the carrier was put up on the desk I stuck a
finger right in the front of it to pet him & reassure him that everything
was ok & he was going to have a good home.  Like a cobra he struck,
lightening quick.  Just as fast I yanked my finger out.  Thankfully he let
go right away.  The people there expressed some concern about the blood
dripping all over the place.  What a wild vicious animal!  Why would anyone
want one of them?

Well I said it was my fault not his.  I know better, having had animals
most of my life.  He was blind, scared & stressed.  I'd have bit to if
someone had stuck their finger in my face after the day he had.  Paper work
finished we went to the van where I keep a large carrier, so large it's
hard to carry.  It has a litter box & all comforts.  Managed to transfer
Bart to it without letting my hands get near him.  I may have bouts of
being stupid but I'm not an idiot.  Stopped & bought a 2 liter cold bottle
of water to put in the carrier to keep him cool until we got home.  Before
even leaving Tampa the afternoon storms came rolling in so the ride home
wasn't bad at all.

Put him in the bathroom with George so they could get aquatinted & held my
breath.  They sniffed, they snooped, they prodded.  It was going to be ok!
Bart even started to chuckle after awhile.  One at a time I let the girls
in to meet Bart.  More sniffing, snooping, & prodding & not one hint of a
fight.  In order not to further stress Bart I only let a girl in a few
minutes before taking her out & allowing another in.  I decided to let
George stay in there with Bart that night to further get aquatinted & start
bonding.  I also kept them together the next day.  In the mornings when I
let the girls out of the cage I put them in the bathroom to romp some with
the boys & later on let them out in the bedroom.  Yesterday was the first
day everyone was allowed the freedom of both rooms.

Bart romped with everyone!  I looked once to see Caffie, really tiny little
one dragging Bart across the floor trying to get him to the main hidey
hole under the dresser.  It is so heartwarming to see George & Bart play
together & with the girls.  Bart is going to be happy here, I know he will.
So please, if you have one blind ferret now & it is a mellow fuzzy, gets
along well with other ferrets, but maybe they don't play with it much,
don't hesitate to adopt another blind one.  They need homes & loving & play
mates to.  Bart is still not all that happy with me, but he is getting much
better.  I don't jump up on the toilet seat now because he wants to kill my
toes.  I don't put my hands by his face, but I pick him up & love on him.
Today I was on the floor & he came by me & sniffed a lot but made no
attempt to bite.  Thank you Margie, from my heart for loving him enough to
want more for him & for thinking he could get it here.

Lynn & the 8 Sneaky Fur Coated Snakes:  Rosie, Blossom, George, QT,
Sadie, Cocoa, Caffie & TA DA!  BART!