From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:07:04 -0400
Sent my post too fast (headache).  Sorry that you ran into that, Debi, but
others have posted with different experiences so perhaps that was more the
store than the farm, or maybe a specific agreement that chain has with the
farm.

Christine wrote:
>the people who work there just do not care ..  one day i went in there -
>and again- the same 5 ferrets had been there for about 5 months- still had
>ear mites- still flithy- still no food or water left in the cage..  so i
>took out my credit card and bought all 5 of them!!!!- it';s a bit wacky i
>know- but i do a lot of rescue work with abandoned or abused ferrets ( and
>hardly need to go and BUY ferrets)- and i said - these weasels are being
>neglected- so what if it is a pet store and not an adoption from a shelter
>or a "rescue'---i gotta get these guys outta here....

In N.J. a bad pet store can be reported to the NJ FG&W for investigation,
and yes, I have seen them take action.  If could be worthwhile to find out
which of your state agencies licence and inspect pet stores.  Some, sadly,
don't have much in the way of standards, but it may be that your state
does.  You may find helpful information in the FML archives at
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html .  It can be quite
a treasure!  (Thanks for that as well as for putting out the list, and
dealing with private mails, and all else you do for others, Bill!)