From: Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:45:28 -0800
I have read all the Ben Stiller comments.  Frankly it does seem to be a
bit blown out of porportion.  Yes he might have been "a big baby" as some
have said, but I don't think some people are being very objective about
it either.  Consider for a moment that many people are not animal lovers
as you and I are.  Some folks genuinely experience real fear when it
comes to animals.  It may have NOTHING to do with Ben Stiller being some
Hollywood hot shot or trouble maker.  I read where someone commented on
the FML that he thought Ben Stiller was "worthless".  Another person
commented that Ben Stiller was likely just seeking publicity and trying
to seek attention for himself and yet another said he had no right to use
the ferret in a movie "as a prop".  There were other comments that are
not coming to mind as we speak, but they were all along the same lines.
You get the idea.

Ok I get that you don't like any negative reporting and publicity about
ferrets because they have gotten an unfair rap over the years.  Many
untruths have been printed about them being rabid and whatnot so I DO
understand the anger over this incident to an extent, BUT it's not right
to jump to conclusions either and basically impute wrong motives on this
man without having ALL of the facts.  Being an actor in of itself does
not make someone "attention seeking" or selfish.  No one here would like
being stereotyped for their love of animals or perhaps some quirky ways
they might have.  We know that some very "normal" people outside of
Hollywood are every bit as eccentric as any actor gets accused of being.
Being a celebrity has nothing to do with it.  I just don't believe for
one second that Ben Stiller is so hard up for publicity that he would
NEED to demonize a ferret in order to get noticed!  The concept is quite
silly.

If you were not an animal lover or perhaps were but had a real concern
over a bite you might see the whole thing in a different lite.  You love
your ferrets so you feel protective.  That is quite natural, but everyone
doesn't have that love or same understanding.  A person cannot always
help having FEAR.  It's what they DO about that fear which counts.  At
least he took the shot.

[SH]