From:
Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:15:06 +0600
> "JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
>L'Avian and specious arguments

>That statement underlies a level of sophistry that almost comes
>close to that other famous leading question, "When did you stop
>beating your wife?"

I don't understand how you paired these two questions together.  I've seen
this ethoxyquin debate come from several different sources, not just
L'Avian.  That, to me, indicates that it's an issue worth more research
until a conclusion is reached.  I didn't mean to imply I gave any more
credence to L'Avian than I do any other company's reports.

>Lastly, even if ethoxyquin or other preservatives impart a small
>increased risk of cancer, preservatives do *prevent* disease.

So I should risk my ferrets to that "small increased risk of cancer" if
there are other preservatives that have been researched better and concluded
NOT to cause cancer?  This is my point...the ethoxyquin debate is far from
settled and, for my peace of mind, I would rather avoid it and stick with
products that have had more research and solid conclusions behind them.  I
don't use L'Avian because of lack of ethoxyquin...I use it because it came
highly recommended from some breeders I trust.  I just happened to pick that
company out in the ethoxyquin discussion because that's the most recent
literature I've read about it.

The fact that there IS a debate about this preservative is enough to make me
cautious about it until more research is done.  I don't see anything wrong
with that.

     Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>