Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:35:34 -0400
To Bob C.,

Thanks, Bob, for the ideas of bringing different things like leaves to
interest the ferret.  I don't get out of the city often, but I will try
to remember to look for things.  Is there anything you can suggest I
bring home?

I feel the way you do about cages--when I look at all but the smallest
animals in a cage I think about what it would be like for me to be in
jail.  Having a cage was one of the reasons I hesitated to get a ferret.
I spent a lot of time ferret-proofing and training Rocky so he could be
free.  As soon as he got to full size, and he was longer than the shelves
in his cage, I couldn't bear to look at him in there.  The more freedom
he got, the more he took advantage of it --he didn't even want to sleep
in his hammock with the door open.  Eventually the only function his cage
had was to hold his food, so I dissembled it when he was about 1 1/2 yrs
old.  I also agree that even a small apartment is boring to him.  I
thought taking him outside would be good for him but it seems to be too
much stimulation and it frightens him, so I don't take him out anymore.
(Also, the ferret ban scares me though almost everyone we encountered
loved him.) He gets so excited when he can go to someone else's apartment
and is obviously happier after the experience.  He even likes going to
the vet because of all the smells and meeting other animals and new
people.

One of the biggest challenges I have found with having a ferret, as
Rocky is my first and only ferret, is trying to think of ways to
entertain him and prevent boredom.  Though it's been hard because they're
so intelligent and curious, it's been good for me to make the effort not
only for him but for me because I have to think and be creative.  My
non-ferret friends don't understand why I devote so much time (and money)
on Rocky.  And I'm sure they think I'm crazy for wrapping his presents at
Christmas and his birthday, but I know it's more exciting for him (and
sometimes he likes the wrapping better than the present!).  They don't
understand what it's like to have such an intelligent creature that you
love so much.  I feel if I am going to keep an animal for my pleasure,
which is what pets are, that I should give him or her the best life
possible.  It's sad that so many people treat their animals basically
like other objects they acquire and those who get animals but give their
furniture priority really drive me nuts.

Speaking of that--this is off topic-- but does anyone know where I can
get info about how bad it is to keep a dog in a "crate" (not for training
purposes temporarily).  I know somone who does this and I don't know if
it would help to give them this info but I'd like to try.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Shron & Rocky, "the world's most spoiled ferret"