Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:40:59 -0700
Since it was brought up, I'm going to speak my mind.

First of all, the ADV tests (saliva anyway) are not accurate.  You might
get a negative test one day and positive the next, which in my opinion
makes them a waste of money.  BUT, if our adopters feel more secure
knowing that we've swabbed some weasel spit, bottled it up and sent it
off to Dr. Frankenstein's lab, I'll do it.

Secondly, I will NEVER EVER understand why clubs/organizations (not all
mind you) demand ADV testing prior to admitting to a show hall yet have
play pens at their monthly meetings where ferrets are allowed to mingle
yet no proof of negative test is required for that....and a situation
like this provides more direct contact with other ferrets than at ANY
show.  If safety is the issue at a show, it should be the issue at EVERY
club event.  The other pointless use of testing prior to a show is that
you have to rely too much on the honesty of people, test or no test.
Folks could test their ferret in September, let them play with other
ferrets in the mean time allowing an opportunity to contract the virus
BUT they now have a negative test and they come to the show with a
potentially positive ferret anyway.  I don't get it.  Is it me or does
this not make any friggin sense whatsoever?

My opinion is this.  The best form of protection against ADV or
anything else for that matter is responsible handling.  If you're a
furodiseaseaphobic then keep your fuzzy in a plastic bubble and don't
let anyone handle them.  The ferret will never contract any communicable
diseases and you wont' be throwing your money down the drain.  Is it a
serious disease?  Yes.  Is it an epidemic?  No.  BUT did you know that
an ADV positive ferret can lead a long healthy life anyway?

By the way, I've spoken to at least 4 vets in this area and NONE of them
have even heard of ADV.

PLEASE do not engage me in any kind of Spanish Inquisition here.  Those
are my thoughts, the answers won't change no matter how you ask the
question.

Kimberly Fox
Director/Rescue Mom
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Help The Helpless. SUPPORT PRIVATE RESCUE
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.