From:
"Hudson, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:41:11 -0500
I have always been extremely proud to show off my first ferret, Peanut.  He
is a beautiful siamese with a thick silky coat and is such a doll.  He has
always been the perfect little ambassador for ferret awareness!  Peanut is
the only ferret I've raised from a tiny kit, he is a MF ferret that came
home at 6 weeks of age.

The other 7 furballs living in my home have all been rescued or adopted.  I
was cleaning boxes last night (like every night!), and they were trying
their best to see what was in the plastic trash bag.  So much of my time
was spent wrestling them out of the bag, entertaining them for a moment
and returning to my chores (only to repeat the whole process).

Like every good mom, I love each of my little babies for what makes them
special.  Fuzz #3, Jack, was taken in from the local county SPCA and is
large silver mitt.  He has been with us since September.  When he came home
he was skinny and had a very rough discolored coat.  Playing with him last
night, I realized how beautiful he had become.  I kinda sat back and looked
at each of my guys from an objective standpoint, and I patted myself on the
back for what beautiful wonderful pets these previously unwanted,
mistreated animals were.

As proud as I am of Peanut, I am just (if not more) proud to show off those
fuzzies that came to my home scared, timid, terrified of every noise.  I
remember the sad looking little sable mitt girl that would tremble when she
was picked up.  After 4 months in our home, she climbs all over me when I
am on the floor.  Or the ones with the rough, discolored or patchy coats
that are now thick, silky and shiny.

If you are thinking of bringing another ferret into your home, you might be
surprised to find out how wonderful you will feel to adopt a rescue/shelter
ferret in need.  Granted, many of those in shelters are not the most
appealing at that moment, but keep in mind where and what situations they
may have come from, just give them a few months.

As for their love.  They love a little differently than you and me.  I
know when I am cooking and someone stands on my foot trying to see what is
happening, they trust and love that I will not hurt them.  Can they hug and
kiss the way we show affection, okay not exactly, some not at all.  But,
when they sneak under the sofa and nip your toes, consider it a love bite.
When they grab a body part and try to drag you into their favorite hidey
hole, consider it a compliment.

That's it for me, just wanted to pay tribute to all those skinny, scrawny,
'why would you adopt that' looking ugly ducklings that came home to love
and attention and turned into beautiful swans.  I agree that kits are hard
to resist, but I guess my softest spot goes for that scared, unloved,
mistreated ferret that has a war dancing, spaz acting, sock stealing, prize
winning beauty somewhere inside.

Jen and the Gang