From:
Mistress of the Hounds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:26:07 -0600
I've recently gotten a ferret who is just the love of my life.  Jester is
a male, neutered to according to my vet.

My vet doesn't know much about ferrets other than vaccinating them for
what is required.  And there are no ferret vets in my area for any
substantial advise.

I've had ferrets before years ago.  But have never seen this problem.
Jester is somewhat laid-back for a ferret.  He's content to roam the
living room that I have ferret-proofed for him.  Of course that doesn't
mean he doesn't want to see the rest of the house LoL... he prys,
scratches, and generally makes for a jail break to happen when he sees
opportunity.  Plans are to ferret proof another room soon to give him
more to explore and have him a bit more content.

In Jester's explorations of the living room, he's left many little
presents in the form of poop and pee.  I clean these up with no problems,
usually trying to place a litter box where he has chosen his most
frequent places.  On cleaning up the pee however, I've found it to be a
greenish color.

I'm currently feeding Jester Fluker's Ferret Food, as it was available
when I got him.  I do have plans this friday when I get paid to get him a
better quality food if possible and would like suggestions on a food that
someone else highly recommends.  Or a certain mix of foods that someone
highly recommends.  Do I need to maybe look at getting Jester some
vitamins too?

The cage that I have set up for my ferret is an extreamely large lizard
louge tank with many ventilation spaces that prevent him from getting
out.  It's approximately 4ft long x 2 1/2 ft.  wide x 3ft.  high.  I know
tanks of any kind are a big no from what I've read of the digest lately.
But the tank is open at the top, and has lots of air flow.  One area has
a litterbox and the other end has his towel (He loves covering up when
sleeping), and a small food bowl for snacks is there in case he gets
hungry, as well as fresh water.  There is plenty of room for Jester to
walk around as well.  Keep in mind that this is only for when I can not
supervise him in the living room when I am home.

And one last thing... I work as an animal control officer, could I be
bringing home something on my clothes or shoes that could possibly be
getting Jester sick?  I deal with a lot of animals, not limited to dogs,
cats, ferrets, but also vultures, alligators, hawks, opposums, raccons,
snakes, and what ever else I have to be out there to catch.

My dogs and cat are always given a booster with thier annual rabies shot.
Do I need to look at giving the ferret one as well?

Any advise is welcome.  Thankyou in advance from Jester.

Sincerely,
Mistress of the Hounds & Jester.