From:
Michelle Matta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:27:58 -0400
Hi all - we adopted a 9 month old boy this past weekend.

I know he is fixed, but I'm not sure he's descented.

I've never had contact with a non-descented male, so I have NO clue what it
smells like.

We brought him home and he was fine the first day.  The second day I caught
this whiff of some foul smell.  Thinking he went poop somewhere, we didn't
find anything.  So then we figured the baby had some bad gas from the change
in diet/household.

Then yesterday we smelled the odor again so I picked him up and his
underbelly was covered in what looked like urine.  Sticky like and SMELLY!
So I though he peed himself and that he might have some kind of infection.
Under his penis is dark, like black and blue like.  I called our vet but she
said to just watch him for now because he's eating and drinking us out of
the house.

I started thinking about it last night and began to wonder if he was not
descented which would explain the foul odor.  Its not a poop odor.  I've
never smelled it before.  All our other ferrets are descented, so I wouldn't
even know what to look for?

Any takers?

- Mish

Desktop Support Consultant ..................
Carnegie Mellon Computing Services ..........
[log in to unmask]  |  (412) 268-4212 ......
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mish/home.html