Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:19:12 EST
Danee,

I understand your concerns as ADV is a serious issue but so is
distemper, ECE, rabies, etc. We disinfect between every ferret and take
many, many precautions to reduce risks. We have several new show goers
who are not familiar with testing and we get them acquainted with
testing. But we do ask to see tests results and shot records and over
90% of those who show are testing for ADV. There has not been any know
cases of ferrets at any show contracting ADV whether it was required or
not. We take every ferret's health personally and go through extremes
to protect their ferrets. I would not bring my own personal ferrets to
the show if I did not feel comfortable with the environment we provide
for all ferrets. I test every six months and all of mine are negative.

I understand your opinion and I am thankful that you brought up a good
point so that we may express our standpoint. ADV is has not been
proven to be airborne and can only be passed through fluid contact or
excessive contact. In our shows, ferrets are not transferring fluid and
are not in excessive contact. We endorse a sanitary environment which
includes having disinfectant for people to use throughout the show hall
and also we disinfect between each ferret even if they are the same
household and cage.

In the past several years however, other more contagious things have
made us change our policy to become more strict. These include the risk
of ECE, which is airborne. Ferrets may not enter the hall without a
health check. Our health checks are very extensive but only so to
protect the ferrets. Some shows do not endorse health checks and this
concerns me. Even with paperwork and proof of negative ADV testing,
without a health check ferrets maybe at risk of fleas and other
parasites.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but please note that I care and
love my animals very much and if I didn't make it safe enough for mine,
I would not ask others to bring their ferrets. You may view our website
and check out our policy regarding sanitizing. Also if you review our
show packett, we do ask and strongly recommend ADV testing. Also please
note that ADV tests are only valid to the day they are done, so even a
negative test and asking for tests at the show does not guarantee that
the ferret is negative the day of the show. I would however, recommend
that everyone check their ferrets at least once. This would help for
peace of mind to know what their status is.

Sincerely,

Dawn Smith
Events and Show Coordinator
LOS National