From:
Scott Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 13:21:39 -0400
Hello FMLers:
    I am a recent subscriber to FML and a veterinarian with a fair amount of
ferret experience.  It is nice to see that Drs. Weiss and Williams provide
their insight on a regular basis.  I will try to provide advice on select
medical problems.  The first concerns gastric (stomach) ulcers in ferrets.
The ulcers are caused by Helicobacter mustelae, an established gastric
pathogen of ferrets.  H. mustelae is endemic in many ferret populations
where natural infections are associated with chronic antral gastritis
(inflammation of the stomach), gastric and duodenal ulcers, and possibly
gastric adenocarcinomas (tumors).  Chronic vomiting; dark, tarry stools; and
anorexia may be indicative of clinical signs.  The treatment of choice
involves a "triple therapy" consisting of amoxicillin (10 mg/kg),
metronidazole (20 mg/kg), and liquid pepto-bismol (17.5 mg/kg) [or De-Nol at
12 mg/kg divided BID for those of you in Europe].  All drugs should be given
3 times a day for 3 weeks.  The definitive methods of determining infection
and cure of infection are serology (blood test) and/or gastric biopsy and
culture.  Since these methods are either not widely available (serology for
H. mustelae) or difficult to perform (biopsy and culture), response to
treatment is the best indicator of cure.  I am not aware that Carafate has
been established as a curative agent.

    For any ferret owners who have ulcers or signs suggestive of ulcers,
you should know that people can be infected with another Helicobacter,
called Helicobacter pylori.  H.  pylori has been established as the major
causative agent of peptic ulcer disease in humans.  People are treated with
various antimicrobial therapies including different "triple therapies." THE
HELICOBACTERS IN PEOPLE AND FERRETS ARE DIFFERENT AND CANNOT BE TRANSFERRED
FROM FERRET TO HUMAN OR VISE-VERSA.  Anyway, ulcers in people can often be
cured with proper treatment.  For further information, ask your physician.

    Next, ear cleaning in ferrets.  I tip my hat to Cheryl who suggested
using the many veterinary approved ear cleaning products such as Epiotic
or Nolvasan Otic.  These products are inexpensive and work well in
ferrets, dogs and cats.  Best of luck with your fuzzies.

Scott E. Perkins, VMD, MPH
Clinical Veterinarian
Cornell University Medical College/
Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center