Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 05:05:13 -0500
First and foremost folks....*have your vet call United and ask them what
to do*.  Preferably before you go in.

I had my vet call and report the last reaction I had.  *We* were told
among other things to use *injectable* Benadryl to pre or post treat, not
children's.

My Buddy had a reaction *many* hours after his shot...and both my vet and I
think that my pretreating him may have reduced a reaction, but also
*delayed* something that I had to make an emergency call to the local vet
who doesn't like to treat my ferrets when it could have been dealt with
immediately had it happened at the vet's office.  (I live in a rural area,
my vet is over an hour drive away, the local guy isn't familiar with
ferrets, doesn't have time to learn, and simply prefers to not see them
because he's not familiar with them.) Buddy may be one in a million that
has a delayed reaction because of pretreating with children's Benadryl,
but it wouldn't have mattered to me had he died if he was or not.  The
delay in his reaction *could* have cost him his life.

Please, have your vets talk to United, and if you're going to pre- treat,
do it with their guidelines and reccomendations.  (We were also told that
they suggest waiting an *hour* not 1/2 hour at the vet after the shots.)

Sue