Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 07:46:25 +1000
Hi Jodie,

So very sorry to hear about your little Bodie.  It's terrible having sick
fuzzies, I panicked after my little girl only had an ear infection!

I know for Humans Flagyl is available via IV.  I had the misfortune
enough of copping a severe ferret bite on my knuckle from a fear biter
about 14 months ago (unfortunately I wasn't an experienced handler at
that time) And as a consequence of the bite I ended up with a 5 days
stint in hospital with a very bad infection that took less then 6 hours
to set in and had infected my whole hand by that time.  Because of that,
my mother (being the worrier that she is) rushed me to the hospital...
What we thought was going to be "here's a prescription, off you go"
turned into a "you've got to stay overnight and have surgery in the
morning" to "you've got to stay in on 3 lots of IV antibiotics 4 times a
day til you're cleared"

Needless to say by the 5th day I didn't care that there was a little bit
of infection left I just wanted to get home, I had 3 collapsed veins and
another minor infection at the Cannula (sp?) site!  (I've got terrible
veins, It usually takes an Anaesthetist to come and take blood with a
syringe, not the vacuum packs, they actually tried to put a cannula site
in my foot.... I wasn't into that one and made quite a noise about them
even thinking about it.  My knuckle still isn't normal and gives me a lot
of pain during the wet/cold days.

I would say that Yes there would be IV Flagyl... But in all honesty... If
it's the same for the fuzzies as it is for Humans.... I wouldn't put him
through it.... Keeps struggling with the oral antibiotics... It's a pain
to you, but in all honesty... If I had that choice... I would have taken
that over needles being stuck in me any day!

Hope this helps!
Vikky