From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 09:56:11 -0500
I need vet-supplied vet-oriented information on the use of isoflurane for
ferrets vs. other anesthetics.

We are trying a different vet who will give us excellent rates of spays
and neuters.  I took 3 ferrets in yesterday morning and was only allowed
to bring one male home at the end of the day.  One male and the female are
still not "100%" according to the vet, and he will not release them to me
until they are.  I have absolute respect for this vet's caring for the
animals; he took them home last night and force fed them and gave them
fluids.

When asked, he said he uses ketamine and something else I wasn't familiar
with.  He said isoflurane does not provide any pain control when they come
out of it.

Our previous vet (whose charges have gone up alarmingly in the last several
months) uses isoflurane.  He does the surgeries first thing in the morning
and we are allowed to take them home by noon.  I've never had any problems
except for one case of retained testicle with excessive bleeding and
bruising.

If anyone can point me to any information on the web, please let me know.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html