From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:36:35 -0800
I consider myself a very active member in the overall ferret community.  I
am an independent shelter supported solely by donations and my own income.
I am not affiliated with any organization except that I support our local
ferret club.  However, I am in contact with several large organizations,
some I agree with, some I do not.  Running a shelter, it seems a major
contradiction and conflict to condone or support any organization that
encourages or supports breeding.  Here is why...

I am in almost daily contact with many other shelters across the US and I am
finding that, contrary to what some are saying, the majority of shelters are
either heavily loaded or completely full and no longer taking in ferrets due
to crowding.  A few, here and there, happen to be low, but this is not the
majority by any means.

One case especially I am concerned about is a South Miami shelter with
approximately 160 ferrets at the present time, 50 to 60 of those need
adrenal surgery/treatment, and all are MF ferrets (incase anyone is
wondering).  I am most concerned about *how* these folks expect to pay for
these kids' surgeries at whatever cost a surgery is there X 50, a staggering
amount of money, this does not include medical care for the other 100 or so,
or everyday food bills, etc..  Can anyone tell me how they are supporting
themselves??  with this many ferrets!

Some feel that certain shelters are overcrowded or full due to neighboring
shelters closing, well...DUH...if the shelters had to close, or stop taking
in new rescues, most often it is because they were running over, *and* if
the ferrets from those 'closed or full' shelters caused crowding in another
shelter well isn't it still due to too many ferrets out there needing
homes?!  Does it matter which shelter did what as far as closing, or why, if
there are still overloaded shelters?!

I suppose there are some breeders who would say "we don't need to cut back
production, we just need more shelters"...well what do you expect a person
to say who makes his/her living from breeding ferrets.  Of course, the more
they can make it sound like ferrets are in demand and shelters are low, the
more ferrets they think they can sell.

I think there are a few spots across the US where ferrets are not so
plentiful, but they are rare.  All you have to do is look in the ears of the
little guys residing at the shelters and you will see that the vast majority
(like 90 percent in my case) are MF ferrets.  I don't see any way a
reasonably intelligent person can ignore these facts and say that MF is not
'over-producing' ferrets.  If they are not, why are the shelters full of
'their' ferrets (others end up at shelters too, it is just that MF is the
major producer in this country and if they cut back or stopped, it would
have the greatest impact).  As a ferret shelter myself, I want nothing more
than to 'be put out of business' because I am no longer needed.

People should not just listen to a single viewpoint on this matter, but
listen to the majority of shelters and make a few phone calls, write an
email, or whatever to find out first hand what the real facts are.

If anyone disagrees with me that is their right, but flames over this will
be deleted, not read or responded to...I *know* the facts, I won't be swayed
by another's viewpoint unless they can show hard and real facts to support
their argument, and I will always listen to facts, but I will verify them
myself first, because words are so cheap, and lots of words sometimes
distort the truth.

Now, I have to get back to caring for the fuzzies...
See ya,
Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter