From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 14:27:12 PDT
This is directed toward Erin Ennis, but I hope someone may gain some
information.  I truly wish you read my message more thoroughly.  If you had
read correctly what I had written, you would have noticed I stated I AM NOT
a Vet.  and am still learning about illnesses, etc.  (aren't we all?!!!),
but there may be a possibility, (and I did stress POSSIBILITY) the person's
ferrets may have had ECE.  Then I went on to share MY experience when my
ferrets were sick this past March.

Let me please pass on more information, such as the research which has been
done regarding ECE.......

Dr. Bruce Williams of the Dept. of Veterinary Pathology in the Armed Forces
Institute of Pathology in Washington, D.C. has done research on ECE.  Dr.
Williams stated ECE is a new diarrheal disease of ferrets which causes
epizootics of high morbidity but low mortality.  The clinical history almost
always includes the introduction of new ferret (or ferrets) into the
household within the last 72 hours (which is what happened in MY case.).  In
rare cases it can be transmitted on clothes or unwashed hands.  Symptoms
include vomiting and passage of dark green stool with abundant mucus.  The
most important facet of treatment is fluid replacement (I used Pedialite-I
wish I would have then known about the Pedialite "pops") and broad spectrum
antibiotics (such as the ammoxicillin I mentioned...) are given to prevent
secondary bacterial infections.  Also, a bland highly digestible diet is
paramount in treatment.

An intestinal disturbance (stress, eating what is not supposed to be eaten,
ECE, etc.) will cause any green loose stool.  This is due to undigested food.

ECE, also known as "green slime" because it resembles the child's toy,
"Green Slime".  It is diagnosed by observation and elimination.

When the fecal exam performed rules out the possibility of parasites or
some other bacteria, the visual diagnosis leaves ECE a possibility.

Stress can cause ferrets to have "green poop".  I have been blessed not to
have my kids stressed to the point where it disrupts their tummies.  I have
brought ferrets in on a singular basis (none of mine were bought in pairs)
and I have taken my kids on a road trip three to four hours long to visit
with their Aunt May, Uncle Joe and their cousin (a 9 month old dalmation),
Zoe.  I have just not experienced what you have.  I am not discounting your
experience, I am just stating I have not had my ferrets that stressed.  I
guess I am lucky.

MEDICATION: I know ECE is a virus, but medications are given when a ferret
(or human, for that matter) has a depressed immune system they are open to
other infections.  Ammoxicillin is given as a profilactic (sp?) for
secondary infection.  Flagile may also be given to help sooth the bowel.  I
believe this is the name of the second medication the Vet. instructed me to
give my ferret when they were sick last March.

Now, for the lysol thing...I HAVE NOT NOR WILL EVER SPRAY ANYTHING INTO MY
FERRETS HOME.  I go to GREAT LENGTHS to make certain my ferrets health is
NOT comprimised.  Anyone who knows me can attest I am paranoid when it comes
to my kids and their health.  For you I will repeat my cleaning procedure:
I threw out ALL bedding, toys, etc.  I carried the cage downstairs to the
drive and scrubbed it using very hot water and a cap full of LIQUID (read:
liquid not aerosol) lysol.  The same stuff the CDC use to disinfect (the
CDC is an organization of very courageous people-at least in my mind-who
work with diseases such as Eboli and AIDS).  In fact, my landlords brother,
informed me he used bleach to clean his cage.  And he is a very
progressive, doctor who treats AIDS patients.  He just rinsed the cage
THOROUGHLY after the scrubbing.

Before I go let me state if you find the need and/or disire to correct
someone, please do it with less of a heavy hand.  You produced some hissing
from this ferret mother due to the tone of your condescending response.

Sincerely-Lise