From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 00:20:40 -0500
katharine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I am disturbed with statements that is it now considered "okay" to
>relocate unvaccinated and untested ferrets based on the Ohio rescue.
>That rescue was unprecedented and I think everyone agrees now that
>they should have been vetted prior to leaving the holding facility.
>The risk of spreading disease all over the country was great and it
>could have been catastrophic to the ferret population. Fortunately,
>it seemed to work out okay, but the results could have been far
>different.

While I would agree that it is probably safer for every one concerned
if ferrets that are scheduled for transport are up to date on
vaccinations and have been tested for ADV, I do not see those as a
reason for not doing a transport. If everyone involved knows all the
specifics, then necessary precautions can be taken to minimize risk
of exposure.

Unfortunately for unvaccinated ferrets, there is not only the concern
that they might be carrying a disease like CDV and exposing other
ferrets - they are also at risk to exposure. There are so many animals
that can get or carry CDV. And, CDV is something that can be carried in
on shoes if a person walks over an area where an infected animal had
urinated of defecated.

With ADV, if a ferret is untested, then it should be treated as if it
is carrying ADV. I can tell you from personal experience that ADV can
be very contagious if an animal has it and is shedding the disease.

I have every intention of doing everything in my power to make sure
none of my ferrets are every exposed to ADV again. That said, I myself
would be willing to help transport ferrets that were ADV+ or were of
unknown status as long as I was told of the situation up front, and
knew that everyone involved in the transport had also been advised of
the situation.

Knowing that ferrets are untested (and therefore might have ADV), I
could cover the back of my SUV in plastic, as well as tenting plastic
over the carrier. That way, after the transport, I could remove and
throw away the plastic, and take the clothes I wore for the transport
directly to our laundry room to be washed, and also shower myself
before handling my own ferrets. I feel these are minimal precautions
that would need to be taken to protect my own ferrets. And, these
precautions should also be enough to protect my ferrets if one of
the transportees had CDV.

I guess what bothers me about the current situation is not that it is
happening, but that when a message was posted asking people for help,
full disclosure was not given. Now, it may have just been an oversight
on the part of the person who originally posted about the transport,
but the response from the receiving shelter sounded like facts were
being covered up, and no answer about the ferrets' status was ever
really given.

I hope that people who are volunteering to help in the transport will
be fully advised of all necessary facts. And, like you said in your
original post, when asking for help with any transport that kind of
information should be provided up front. Lori certainly did that with
the DMK ferrets, and knowing that the ferrets were unvaccinated and
untested, she still had a number of people willing to help with the
care and transport of the ferrets. But, the volunteers went into it
with their eyes open, and knew what they would need to do to protect
their own ferrets. That is what is most important. Knowledge is power.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/