From:
Diana Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:04:02 PST
Hello,

Lucy died this morning and we don't know what happened.  Since I am still
quarantined I have all my ferrets going out and coming into my friends
house.  He went to Summit Lake last night to go snow machining.  I checked
on everyone last night about 8:00 pm and all seemed fine.  I went back over
there this afternoon to take in 3 new ones and Lucy was lying in the bottom
of her cage with the 3 others asleep around her.  Something didn't look
right and when I opened the cage, I saw that Lucy was not just asleep.  I
got the othe 3 out of the cage and when I picked up Lucy there was a pook
of almost dried blood around where her rear was.  Then I noticed that Ghost
could hardly walk so I put Lucy down and picked up Ghost and saw that there
was dried blood on her hind feet and around her rear end.  Quite a bit of
it.  I called the vet and he came right over.  Lucy had died sometime that
morning and it looked as if she had bled out.  We concerned ourselves with
Ghost though.  His temp was 100.1 but she was very weak and could only drag
herself.  At this point we are just walking in the dark.  Ghost had a bowel
movement while the vet was trying to get the temp so we took the stool
sample to the hospital to have it checked.  We should know something by
tomorrow morning and have somthing better by Wed.  Dr. Loibl mentioned
Gastric ulsers as a possibility.  We were devastated.  We made a mix of
duck soup and added Boiled liver to help with the blood loss.  She is
better that she was but not close to what she should be.  She still can not
walk but will drag herself to the litter box and will weakly drink from her
water bottle.

I don't know what happened!  Ghost is still not out of the woods and we
could still lose her.  If any body has any ideas that might shed some light
on what could have happened... Lucy had her eyes closed so I know that she
died in her sleep, but I was not there for her.  Damn ECE!  I hate this.  I
am always with mine and am only gone for a few hours at a time.  I Lucy had
been able to be here I might have caught it in time.