From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 07:16:34 EST
To Christine -

        >  The reason I was asking is our male ferret (who has b
>een neutered and descented) has been extreemly aggressive towards our female (a
>lso altered)

        Oops - I was under the impression that Milo was intact.  Well, now you
do have a problem.  (Not that you didn't before).  What we appear to have here
is a behavioral problem.  I have a similar problem at home iwth a small older
female, and two younger, larger neutered males who delight in tackling her and
frightening her.  What we have been doing over the last few months is to make
sure that they are not left together unsupervised, and have been in close
proximitiy when they get together.  Each time they get together (which we
encourage), we talk to them and keep our hands down near them so that they know
we are watching and prepared to intervene if necesary.  It seems to be working -
although they sometimes still get to her, the number of times that ey interact
peacefully is on the rise, and negatively is declining rapidly.  I do't think
I'll ever trust them completely around her, but at least we don't have to come
running whenever they come in contact with each other.

Bruce Williams