Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:21:40 -0700
My oldest, dearest girl is also dead now after being at a new vet since
9:00 this morning.  He doesn't perform necropsies on ferrets and to be
honest I have such little faith in them now as I have been to 3 different
ones in 8 days.  Then finally today I am told by the 3rd vet that the 2nd
one prescribed 5 times as much Antibiotic ( Clindamycin 12.5 mg every 12
hours) as is indicated for the weight of my ferrets.  Along with .5 mls of
Lopermide every 12.  Then last night when I phoned about the downgrade in
the remaining kids condition he told me to give the baby the same damn
dose!  No wonder he died in my arms!!!  Now I don't know Clyndamycin from
paint stripper but I can only guess after tasting it that in the dose they
got it felt just about the same sliding down their already weakened
digestive tract!

( To all the vets in the group: I would be very interested in hearing
your thoughts on whether this over dosage contributed to the deaths of
my ferrets??  As well as any info on who I would send the baby to for a
necropsy study)

I am so frustrated I could spit!  But I doubt with all the crying I've
done I could even work up enuf to do it!  I asked him about amox and
pediapred from day one, provided him with Dr Williams treatment sheet as
well!!  But he said this would be better tolerated!!!!!  WTH?????  I don't
know whether to forgive his ignorance or curse his ARROGANCE for not
telling me he knew nothing about ferrets.  If he had just given them the
sub q's for the crisis at hand and admitted he didn't know JACK I would
have called the last vet I hadn't tried in the next town over a week
ago!!!!  Turns out he has ferret experience and in fact is one of the vets
used by Neen at Frontier Ferrets shelter that is just 100 miles from me.
( which I wouldn't have ever know about if it hadn't been for an angel
from Kansas named Troy Lynn ) What a hard lesson!!!  The resources were
here they just took me too long too find in a situation where every hour
counts.  Hind sight can be a cruel thing.  But not nearly as cruel as
losing all three of the only pets you've ever raised in you life one right
after the other!

Cindy