From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:43:01 -0500
Just to add my .02 cents to the free roam comments.  My first was in her
own room for the first few months.  Since then she and my later addition
have been free roam.  It can't be for everyone but I don't agree with the
arguments that say "never" either.  I'm single so door openings and
closing's are pretty regulated by just me as opposed to a large family
which could be hard.  My house is fairly small and was easy to ferret
proof.  BTW - I can see caging or confining to one room till the kits pass
1 year.  Seems as they mature they get a little less likely to go searching
for trouble:) As ferrets get older you might give it a try if all else fits
safely.  I'm pretty tolerant of poop mistakes and ferrets sleeping in my
kitchen drawers:) and no one else lives here to complain.  In the 3 years
of reading FML I have seen where some accidents occurred with the ferret
out and no one home - maybe if someone had been home or the ferrets caged
they could have been averted.  However far more have happened when the
ferrets are out and the humans are home.  We are in some ways their biggest
threat.  But you can't cage them all the time.  So I agree with the poster
who mentioned quality of life.  By no means should we become complacent -
ferret proofing is an ongoing thing and you should take all means possible
to ensure their safety.  Mine are also far calmer I think than if they were
caged.  In some ways maybe this is less fun.  But I can't imagine my female
caged.  The male might adjust but she is such a wild spirit.  She lives for
walks outside in the brushy meadow.  I think she'd be most happy in a
hunting home in the UK personally.  Right now winter is closing in, dark
comes early and she is mighily depressed about no walkies.  As for those
with mice problems - Giesela wants to come help out!

Mary, Boris, Giesela and the dog Booker (Booker stays outside when I'm
not home, or if too cold the ferrets and the dog take turns staying in a
closed room)