From:
Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:53:26 -0800
Hello,

My name is Melissa and I have just rejoined after a very long absence.  I
live in North east Alabama.  I have owned three ferrets previously..Jawa,
Meeko and Yoda.  Jawa and Meeko passed away in early 2000.  Yoda was my
last baby...and he passed away last month.  He had an adrenal tumor in his
right gland...he was also showing signs of the beginnings of insomila as
well...so I opted to have him put to sleep on the operating table.  It was
a tough decision, but one I felt was for the best.

The past month has been terribly lonely.  I had made a promise to my
husband, "no more ferrets" as we have two boxers, and he felt that is
enough.  But I have really missed Yoda this past month.

This weekend I received a call from a boxer rescue person who lives in a
nearby town.  She knows I have had ferrets because we are both members of
a boxer list..and she had received a phone call from a woman who had found
a ferret on the side of the road while she was coming home from church.
They had no idea what to do with it, or what ferrets eat or anything else.
She had tried to call several vets and the humane society with no luck.
So they thought of me.

I called the lady who found him and told her I could take him until a home
could be found.  She was overjoyed as she had cats and had no clue how to
care for the ferret.  I told her to feed him cat food..and we could meet.

I met her at a small park in the town she lives in.  They opened their
hatch, to show me the ferret.  He had eaten a big bowl of food.  I stuck
my fingers through the wire front to see what he would do.  He just
lowered his head so I could scratch him.  I decided to go ahead and take
him out.  They had been afraid of him....and as I lifted him out the guy
asked me if they would bite.  I said, "yes, they can and it hurts, but
this one looks so sweet."  That ferret is the sweetest thing I have ever
in my life seen.  He loves to be held and petted.  My other three liked to
be petted for a short time, but they had things to do and socks to steal.
This one prefers the petting.  I named him Binks on the way home and
contemplated what to do with him.  The couple were almost positive he was
dumped, as it was in area pets are regularly abandoned.  I'm still going
to post signs later this week just to be sure.

I have since clipped his nails, given him a bath..and lots of love and
attention.  He's been eating and drinking like a pig!!  He had made
himself at home in Yoda's cage and now he gets into the hammock.  At
first I don't think he knew what it was.  He will be going in on Friday
to get his shots, since I'm not sure if he has had any or not.

I think he is a young adult.  He has alot of spunk and his teeth are in
great condition.  He reminds me of Yoda when he was young...and I can't
help but think Yoda had some part in Binks finding me.  Even if he is an
escapee and his owner claims him, I'm so happy he found his way to me and
was spared a terrible fate out in the open.  My husband has agreed to
allowing me to keep him if noone claims him.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I think
this experience is proof that our pets are still part of our lives even
after their physical self leaves us.

melissa and Binks,
alabama,usa