From:
Teresa Knezek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 23:23:32 -0900
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Toram Oslo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>None of my 12 ferrets both hobs and jills are fixed and they are as
>soppy as can be, I do not agree with fixing ferrets just in order to
>stop them smelling

There are many more reasons than smell to have an animal spayed or
neutered... whether a ferret, dog, cat or horse.

For ferrets specifically, do a Google search on "aplastic anemia" to
learn a very compelling reason to have a non-breeding jill spayed.  And
for hobs (as with many other male animals), it's not only a smell issue,
but a question of temperment and behavior that makes neutering a
worthwhile procedure.

Unless a domestic animal is being bred, or -- in the case of livestock --
planned for butchering before or shortly after sexual maturity, there is
very little compelling reason to keep any male animal intact, and female
animals who can be spayed affordably should be as well, especially in the
case of ferrets where a jill can develop fatal anemia if she's not bred
when she comes into season.
--
Teresa -- and the Three Polar Packrats
(Zoe, Ziya & Blitzie)