From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 16:28:52 -0700
Dear Victor:
First of all, I'd like to commend you for doing your research before
purchasing any furr kids.  You're right- fuzzies do tend to get what
seems like more than their share of health problems.  However, let me
assure you that these little guys give so much joy and pleasure during
their seemingly short lives.  At least speaking for myself, I know that
they have added such a sense of well-being and happiness that my own
life has become so much richer and, if laughter and happiness are any
indicators, I'm sure my life will be longer also.  Oh, that I could
live my life only half as fully as they do LOL!

But, back to dealing with hard facts.  Yes, they can be expensive, even
before they start facing those health issues.  You are talking cage,
litter, food, accessories and that all important TIME!  As you have
already started educating yourself, I recommend you continue reading the
FML and get yourself a copy of "Ferrets for Dummies" which is somewhat
considered the ferret "Good Book".

Then there are those CA issues- as you already know, many people do
own ferts in CA.  We just tend to keep them quietly indoors, which is
sometimes hard when you love them so much and wish you could take them
everywhere with you.  But as far as vets are concerned, there are plenty
of ferret-friendly vets, although not as many "ferret-knowledgeable"
vets.  You'll have to do your research here again - Ferrets Anonymous has
a vet listing link on their website.  Don't worry, the vets won't "rat"
on you.

May I suggest that when you are ready to get your furr kids you consider
adopting from a rescue as there are so many fuzzies out there that need
homes.  Often rescues will even have kits for adoption or young adults.
You can even adopt privately from someone needing to re-home their pet.
In this way you get your ferts without adding profit to the pockets of
petstores or breeders.

Sorry this is so lengthy but there's so much to say (which I'm sure my
fellow FMLers will be glad to do!) so I'll sign off now wishing you good
luck!

[CY]