From:
"Deziree E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:34:11 -0700
First of all, I DO NOT WANT ANY FLAMES FROM THIS POST!  Thank you.

I was looking around the Petopia site and I noticed how they don't seem to
be up to date on ferret info (as far as toys go).  If you look under ferret
toys listed are (and I cringe) those metal mouse/hamster wheels and those
clear balls hamsters walk around in (although I believe their version is
rainbow colored).

Ok, I'm not a vet, and I haven't owned ferrets for a gazillion years, but
I don't think these are safe or appropriate for ferrets.  Most of these
are not bigger versions for bigger animals like ferrets.  Plus, I know my
ferrets would HATE being confined to a stupid plastic ball (like they
aren't confined in a cage enough).  And just the thought of the injuries
that could result in a ferret being crammed into one of those "exercise"
wheels makes me shudder.  But, even if anyone does feel these are ok for
their fuzzies, it still contributes to the misconception that ferrets are
rodents, like a hamster or gerbil.  Now, I do realize plenty of businesses
might have the same problem (clumping all "small animal" stuff together),
but I decided to start with them, and I have already emailed everyone with
an email address at Petopia.com.

I am not saying everything on their site is bad or wrong or misinformative
or inappropriate for ferrets.  A lot of their stuff is just fine.  But I
want them to acknowledge the distinction between ferrets and rodents.  And
I won't give them my business until they do.  (And, yes, I do know the best
place to shop is The Ferret Store.)

Sincerely,
Deziree
Rio&Mishu's MOM