From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 23:55:23 -0400
Dear FMLers,

The opinions following are mine, Pamela Troutman Grant, and can be borrowed
or disagreed with, but not flamed:

Adrenal tumors - it is not an issue of early spay/neuter, but of a genetic
problem in ferrets, that when bred to another ferret with the same genetic
fault, optimizes adrenal problems.  This issue will be discussed more in
depth in the June / Summer issue of STAR* Ferrets.

Early spay/neuter - instead of complaining about MF and other farms early
spay/neuter practices, we should be applauding them WITHIN REASON.  Most
ferret farms alter and descent their ferrets at 4-6 weeks of age.  I'd like
to see it pushed back to 7-8 weeks of age.  Leaves the kit with the mother
longer to learn better socialization habits (litter box training, ferret
interaction, nip training).  It would also force farms to hold the ferrets
until their second shot is complete, giving distemper a smaller hold on new
kits.

Legislation - If we lobbied our states to make it illegal to sell or adopt
any companion animal before 8 weeks of age, then people might think twice
about kittens, puppies, ferrets, etc.  Work NOW in your state to make things
happen for ferrets and other pets, BEFORE there is a problem.

Also, if we made it mandatory that ALL companion animals were spayed or
neutered before sale to the public (pet shops, shelters, private sales)
unless a heavy breeder's license was paid for up front, then we would have a
LOT fewer cats, dogs, rabbits, et al in the shelter system, and fewer
backyard breeders producing animals because it would not be profitable.
 Sure, it would put some good ferret breeders out of business (maybe).  But
the animal population of this world would be thankful, as would the animal
shelters.

Many times people ask me how I can breed ferrets at the same time I'm
running a shelter.  I do have my reasons (excuses).  But I have decided to
limit myself to one more litter this year, and one litter next year, then
alter all my breeders (only have 4 intact ferrets at this time anyway) and
continue to enjoy them as pets.  I started breeding American with German
ferrets 4 years ago, and I just want to see the rounding out of a few
bloodlines.  I've enjoyed running my rescue (Pet Pals) as a referral and
placement service, and keeping ferrets in my home that are only emergency
rescues or just my own pets.  I think I'll always have my finger in the
rescue work with STAR* Ferrets, and hope to further the educating of the
world with up to date ferret material.

BTW, Fran Wiles - that was a magnificent post on the FML - thanks for saying
it so well for all of us.

Pamela Troutman Grant, Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets