From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 03:04:58 -0800
To the FML:

I have returned from a long TDY in San Antonio and Puerto Rico.  No, I don't
have a suntan, but a lot of work was accomplished on behalf of the US Army.
I am trying to get out from under the mountain of work that has piled up in
my absence, but will also try and catch up on the last few FML's.  From
yesterday....

To Deana:
>I was wondering if anyone on the list has heard of or used a product called
>Ornacyn-Plus.  It contains "a compounded broad spectrum antibiotic
>(erythromycin) plus amino acids and vitamins...  However, a couple of pet
>stores around here said that they also use it for ferrets...for upper
>respiratory ailments...

Erythromycin can be used in ferrets as a broad spectrum antibiotic, but is
rarely used and relegated to treatment of some superficial skin diseases.
The compounding done in the preparation of bird over-the-counter antibiotics
is little more than a dilution to extremely low levels in order not to kill
the birds.  This dosage would make it highly ineffective for use in ferrets.

The last place that you would want to pick up antibiotics, or take advice in
prescribing them is at your pet shop.  These people are not trained in any
form of medicine, much less the extralabel use of antibiotics.  While this
medication will most likely not harm your ferret, it will also be of little
benefit at the concentration present.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Chief Pathologist, AccuPath
Dept. of Veterinary Pathology               [log in to unmask]
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology