From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:37:12 -0500
Meeteetse's obit was on Weekend Edition as part of their "Week in Science"
segment this evening.  I'll try their site tomorrow and find it to direct
right to it.  It made me happy remembering her funny times like that and
seeing her honored.  They told me that she is "legend" in NPR.

We picked up a new one today.  Were told this is an unusual female
(Amy/Stubs) who was found in someone's garage and scared the person (though
the individual did care enough and try enough to catch it and call a
shelter which is marvelous).  Was at that time emaciated, full of ticks,
and had gangrene because someone had attempted to dock the tail with a
rubber-band.  They had to amputate tail.  He (Yes, a very unusual female --
one with a little penis.) since gained a lot of weight (Is about 6 months
old probably, still with kit coat and kit behaviors, and very new teeth.)
and now weighs 2# 7 ounces.  With his fat bum and his tiny stub of a tail
he looks like a bear cub running around.  We are seeking an ursine-related
name, though may change minds.  If this had been a female would have been
"Ursa".

We've been tricked ourselves in the opposite direction.  Picked up a shy
one once from a shelter and it took ages for her to let us see genitals.
Though was a male form large size and short face.  Nope, one of those
aberrant ones.  We all get fooled at times.

He has already fallen asleep in my arms a few times.