From:
"Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:49:30 EST
Frank,
Sorry to hear of your plight.  My dogs contracted Giardia early last year.
I'm sure you will recieve much more information from the fml vets but here
goes.  From what I know Giardia is a microscopic parasite (at times very
difficult to diagnose because they are hard to see).  Giardia can be found
in RUNNING water in areas inhabited by racoons (Pennsylvania and the
like-Dela- ware had an epidemic last year).  The parasite can be transmitted
to other pets and humans through food sharing, saliva and feces.  An
injection at the emergency clinic brought my puppy back to her old self
before we left the emergency room.  She was then on oral medication for a
week or two.

Hope your young'uns recover soon!

Logan,
I'm sure you will get this same response from all the fml subscribers!  Try
the nearest shelter!  I doubt that you will find a pet store or breeder that
charges less than $100 for a ferret and a lot of breeders do not decent or
spay/neuter.  Of course this is great if you plan to breed but bad if you
are on a tight budget and being that this will be your first ferret I do not
recommend breeding.  A shelters price of approximately $65 includes
decenting, spaying/neutering and shots and you'd be making some warm fuzzy
VERY happy!

Happy Hunting,
Irena...Lucy's mom