From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:52:05 -0700
Kiwi,

A few months ago I adopted a ferret, Perry, who's about six years old and
seems to be blind and mostly deaf.  This has a few noticeable results.
First, when I give him a treat, I need to put it right in front of his
nose before he notices it.  Second, he is very easily startled by our
other ferrets.  It's as if he doesn't even notice them until they're an
inch in front of his face, and then he will jump backwards with lightning
speed and make a squeak.  He doesn't do this to humans, and we're working
on keeping him calm around our other six-year-old.

Other than that, the blindness doesn't seem to affect him much.  He knows
his way around the house, and he can figure out the new terrain when we
move things.  He occasionally bumps into things lightly, but not in a
painful way.  Because he can't hear or see, he seems to make up for it
with his other senses.  He's very tactile and loves to rub himself on all
sorts of textured surfaces when I walk him outside.  He loves a variety
of hooman foods, especially fruits.  (He also voraciously consumes socks
whenever he gets a chance, but we try our best to keep those away from
him.) His favorite time of the day is shower time, because he can splash
around and lick up the water.

I have to admit that Perry often doesn't act like a typical ferret.  I'm
not sure if that's due to his blindness or just the fact that he's pretty
old.  He's getting better now, so maybe he just needed time to acclimate
to his new surroundings.  He recently started sleeping in the dresser
drawer for the first time.  (The dresser belongs partly to my husband,
but mostly to the ferrets.) And I was very excited last night when he
ran through a tube and did a little happy dance for the first time.

Good luck with your blind girl.  I'm sure she's quite happy, even not
being able to see.  All I can suggest is to figure out what sorts of
toys and activities she enjoys, and then spoil her with them.

Best Wishes,
Julie