From:
Pamela E Troutman and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:35:35 EST
I'd like to add my two or three cents here.  Many of you know I ran a
shelter from 1988 to 1996 and placed over 1300 ferrets in that time.  In
the last three years, I've run a placement service where I screen people
before referring them on to people who have ferrets to adopt (I no longer
take in ferrets except in emergency cases).

It does not matter how much a person makes in salary - what matters is will
they spend it on a sick ferret.  I've know people with blond spikes in
their hair and tattoos who make better ferret parents with a job at Burger
King than the upper middle class family that allows their 14 year old to
shave the ferret down the back with an electric razor because the kid
wanted it to have a reverse Mohawk.

Rather than point out all the disturbing items that can be missed with just
a background check, let me focus on what DOES WORK...

1) Interviews.  First over the phone, then in person.  Do some average
screening over the phone when you have a caller - Are they willing to pay
twice as much for ferret food and vet care than with a cat?  Are they
willing to spend 6 to 9 years with this animal, even if it gets a form of
cancer in the last year of it's life?  Do they have children or other pets?
How will the ferret relate to them and they to the ferret?

Then, if you have told the truth about ferrets and they still want to look
at your shelter, invite them over with no promises of taking a ferret home
that day.  GET THE WHOLE FAMILY to visit the shelter (less pets unless they
are ferrets).  Sure, it may be crowded, but you need to see how the ferret
will fit in and their reactions.

2) Trust your instincts.  If you think there are bad vibes or they still
hold the ferret improperly after you have instructed them otherwise, then
suggest a ferret may not be the pet for them.  Or, the ferret they are
looking for is not at your shelter, and you'll keep them on a list and
call if one comes in fitting the bill.

3) Don't alienate!  If they really want a ferret, and you won't let them
have one, they will go elsewhere.  Educate, explain, and be patient.  If
you can't do that, then you should not be in a people oriented job like
ferret sheltering.

4) Offer a money back refund in a set time frame.  I offer a 100% refund
within 30 days if the ferret does not work out in the new home.  I'd rather
have the ferret back than the new owners thinking they are out money and
trying to sell it to someone THEY think is going to like it.  In 30 days,
less a tragic accident, they really can't harm a ferret even if they do use
a cheap food and don't let it out of the cage.  Wouldn't you rather have it
back than let it stay in a home where it really isn't wanted?  Plus, you
have almost guaranteed that they will not go to a pet shop and send another
kit to a shelter later in life.  I recommend at least a 75% refund and 30
day trial to allow the adopters to get used to a pattern of having a ferret
around.

5) Try the home out.  If you are unsure, take the chance.  If you are
willing to take the ferret back and give a refund, then for 30 days
you have one or two less ferrets, the adopters are getting first hand
experience, and the ferret is probably getting more attention than it
would at the shelter.  Who loses here?  Sure, you may have to refund the
adoption, the ferret may be confused at being returned, but it is no worse
than the ferret taking a vacation to be babysat at someone else's home.

True story - A couple wanted a ferret for their son for his birthday.  The
kid was 8 and they wanted to surprise him.  I prefer the main caretaker be
present to select the ferret and be interviewed.  This couple showed up on
my doorstep uninvited.  Since they were here, I let them in.  Both parents
were dressed in up-scale clothing, the father being a minister.  They drove
a nice foreign car.  Money was no object, but they thought adopting a
ferret was a noble cause.  Neither of them would hold a ferret.  I offered
the woman a smock so she would not get ferret fur on her clothes, and she
refused.  They petted a ferret like it was a hideous blob.  I finally said
that I did not think a ferret was a suitable pet for their household based
on their reaction to one.  They both were relieved.  I think they were
afraid to admit they made a mistake in coming.  Sometimes, a refusal on the
shelter operator's part is appreciated, rather than considered rude.  As I
said before, you can not stop a person from getting a ferret if they really
want one, but you can protect the ones put in your charge.

If anyone is interested in a copy of STAR*'s adoption screening form, just
e-mail me.  If you'd like the whole collection of forms, plus my Ferret
Rescue and Care book, e-mail me for cost.

Pam Troutman,
Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets