From:
Kelleen and the FANG Gang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 21:45:24 -0700
OK, shoot me, beat me, slap me with a wet, ferretone soaked ferret!!  I run
a shelter and my kids are ALL free-roaming.

Yes I can see there could be some danger here if a fire broke out.  I have
smoke alarms all over the place to warn me of such a thing.  I also sleep
odd hours, often do not sleep for days, am in and out of sleep thruout the
time I do sleep.

Now let me pose a question to you ok?  Is it the quantity of life that is
most important or the quality?  I'm sorry but I KNOW my fuzzys are happier
having their freedom than when locked up a lot.  There are risks in every
possible way you care for these guys and human children as well.  I have
heard too many stories here of ferrets that get hurt while caged.  Penis's
get stuck in the wiring, feet get caught in the wiring etc..... So do not
assume a caged ferret is safer than mine are.  If the above happens while
you are at work your ferret is in absolute danger too and it was becaused it
was caged.

Also too remember that a bored ferret is way more likely to find trouble
than one who is not bored.  My kids are NEVER bored let me tell you.  You
CAN ferret proof a home so well there is no real danger.  Yes they can find
new ways to tell you maybe something should be done a bit different etc.  as
their skill levels increase, but the MAJOR dangers to them can be taken care
of.  I KNOW, I have done so.  You mention getting out of doors.  Well who's
fault is that?  It is surely not the ferret's fault, it is not your homes
fault or lack of ferret proofing, it is the human's fault for not being very
careful and observant.  I have had as many as 18 free-roaming ferts in here
so far and NEVER has one gotten out a door because I am TOO careful and
observant for that to happen.

When you decide on free-roaming you have to accept a whole new and longer
list of responsibilities.  You have to commit to a heck of a lot more
work too.  So it all boils down to whether YOU are willing to do what YOU
have to or not.  If you are not 100% positive you WILL take on these
responsibilites then by all means LEAVE THEM CAGED!  I strongly urge you
to.  BUT if you ask those of us that do it successfully all about it and
honestly prepare yourself for what has to be done and truly commit to
follow thru.

I personally am home near to 24 hours a day unless I am out running
ferret errands or need to actually go buy food (which again ends up
mostly for the ferrets:-)).  I am constantly watching to see if they have
gained new skills and/or increased skill levels and I need to update my
ferret proofing techniques etc... You have to be constantly observant 24
hours a day.  It basically comes down to the fact that their level of
safety is completely dependant on you.

So yes if a fire breaks out I will have to methodically and darn quickly
look thru every hidey hole I know of and rescue my ferts.  That is why I
am sooooo careful about things that can cause fires.  But that does not
really mean caged ferrets are really much safer than mine.  My kids are
happy and thrilled to have their space and freedom.  I and them would
have it no other way.  THANKS!   TNT!

       Kelleen Andrews  &  Her FANG GANG!!!!