From:
"Susan D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2002 07:27:21 -0400
Lisa Goggins asks:
>Please Answer...would you get more ferrets????

Lisa,

When I lost my first ferret, Fred, he went quietly in the night.  A few
years and a few ferrets later, I experienced screaming seizures for the
first time with Oscar, and he passed away the next day.  I said never
again.

Then I got a call from someone needing a home for a ferret.  Boo Boo held
his own with Zeus and Thor, so he stayed.  Then the Humane Society called
with a ferret needing a home.  When the lady arrived, my husband picked
the ferret up out of the cage and she just laid in his arms; hello Bandit.
Then last year we lost three ferrets within a few months of each other.
It was extremely hard emotionally, esp.  with Zeus who died slowly from
renal failure.  I didn't want to set myself up for heartache again.  But I
was down to Thor and Boo Boo, with old man Ares living separately.  Thor
was getting old, and I didn't want Boo Boo to be alone if something should
happen.  Then the local shelter, Ferrets Dream House, got in a group of 3
boys left in an apartment.  A few weeks later I met Polar Bear at a show.
These four beautiful, cuddly, sweet boys have taken over the ferret room.
They are sweet monsters, so full of life, and I must say, never again will
I be WITHOUT ferrets.  The joy far outweighs the heartache.  My cats don't
think so, but they would die of boredom if they weren't chased around the
house daily.  I can't imagine not coming home from work and de-stressing
with a roomful of ferrets.  Or tossing a few on the bed on a Saturday
morning to wake up a sleeping hubby with toe nips.

I know their time with me is short.  I held Ares two weeks ago as he
passed from this life to the next.  It tore me apart, because like every
one of my ferrets, he was special in his own way.  But I'm getting just a
little bit stronger with each passing ferret, and having Ares here with me
during his last moments, it felt right.  Oh, I was my normal bawling self,
but the loss was eased by knowing Ares had a good two years with us.  He
was loved and spoiled and loved.  And he will never be forgotten.

As long as Lori Sies has a shelter, I guess I'll have an ample supply of
ferrets.

Susan D. in KY