From:
ekrueger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:26:53 -0500
Hello fuzzylovers! :)

I've been told that I don't post enuff on this list, and that I should
post more, so I've been trying...how am I doing??

Just wanted to let you know about my experiences with descenting.  My first
and most beloved ferret, Tash, came to me as a completely unaltered hob.
My x took him from a friend who saved him from going to the pound.  I fell
immediately in love, minus Tash's love for attacking feet and occasional
nipping....nipping since fixed :).  We think he was maybe 1 then, but
aren't really sure.  The x didn't take care of him much, so I 'adopted'
him as my own.  (It was my time, care/love and $ anyway!)  Tash had already
adopted me.

Anyhoo, I kept him that way for several years....stinky and all....and
let me tell you, a hob is STINKY!  Tash is a good 6yrs old now (still
guessing).  His neutering was done not even a year ago, 12/21/99.  That was
easy, but due to a miscommunication with the vet, he only got neutered and
not descented!  I wanted both cuz he expressed himself rather frequently.
So, after waiting to see the difference neutering would make on his smell,
I went ahead and had him descented 9/26/00.  This surgery was definately
harder on him, but it is a more complex internal surgery around some VERY
delicate parts!  He didn't want to eat for a few days and lost a little
weight, but with a bit of gravy and pampering he was just fine.

PLEASE keep in mind, Tash was and is in exceptional health for his age.
I am convinced it is because of his being a late neuter.  He has the
same awesome body tone of my 1.5yr old Tazzaroo, no floppy belly, and
Tash is even stronger!  I have been lucky with Tash and my other oldie,
Smokey(5ish), who had his tail amputated the same day Tash was descented.
Both are fine.  *Please excuse if any of that sounds like Mommy
bragging ;-)

Look at your individual ferret, if you think he is healthy, he should be
fine.  If you don't feel secure in making that assessment, run up to a vet
office before you leave and just ask them to take a quick look at him for
you.  The vets around here are pretty helpfull like that.  Give yours a
call and see if they can arrange something for you.  I hope this is
helpfull.

Warmest wishes, and best of luck!
Elke- me:)  Tash, Taz, Smokey, &Valentine--the ferts, Tux&Precious--
the kibbies, Sweetie, Sunny&Gage-the organic lawnmowers, and Mortimer--
the iguana desperately seeking a new home.  (Anybody know of a reptile
list??????) and of course, exceedingly missing Willow.

PS.  THANK YOU TO ALL WHO SENT LETTERS CONCERNING WILLOW!  Sorry I haven't
said anything sooner, but it was difficult to read them all at first.  I
was amazed to find so many responses in my mailbox.  You will never know
how much that meant to me.  I know that first request letter was a panic
letter, I already knew what was going on.  Blessings to all of you and
your furkids.  There is something to be said about healing tears.