Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2013 12:30:01 -0600
I want to thank you, Olivia, that was such a kind post. We at the
Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue do not list our ferrets because we feel so
fortunate we have so much for our ferrets with the support of many
people to make their lives fun. But we normally pick a few of the
ferrets on the tree and send huge boxes of nice expensive gifts. Last
year we picked 4 ferrets from rescues with many ferrets. We took the
whole month of 4 gatherings making some of the thickest floor hammocks
ever, we broke two machines trying to sew that thick of a padding. A
human could have slept on the floor and been comfortable on them. They
were gorgeous, if I have to say so myself, in bright colors . We also
made sets in matching material in various designs, we included several
sets in each box and then filled in with toys, treats, ferratone, etc.
Did we get much of a thank you. Out of the four, ONE wrote and said
"thank you for the lovely gift" and that was it. It seemed like a slap
in the face for how many worked on this and gave up their time which is
precious during this time of the year plus the postage, wow did that
cost. We were not going to pick any ferrets this year, although we
hoped their ferrets got the use of those marvelous hammocks even if we
didn't get acknowledged much, but with adoptions down to nil and our
shelter so full of young fat gorgeous ferrets and our having to turn
down ferrets waiting to be surrendered until we find homes for those
already here, our money will have to go to vetting. We have a lot in
foster homes we pay medical for life so our bills remain high even if
we don't have a lot of adoptions. But it might have been had there been
acknowledgements the tone your post did, have encouraged some of our
people to do some Santa'ing on their own. I hope this year with all
those who wrote they didn't get a thank you either will have seeped in
and shelters now know it is important even if you consider yourself
busy to thank the person who went out of their way to be a Santa. It's
what keeps this going. It's a wonderful thing for those who receive
and those who give and it deserves to be acknowledged.

Millie Sanders at Txferretrescue.org
with Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue and
connecting Foster homes and sanctuaries