From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 20:30:31 -0400
>From:    Kesrael Vacchon <[log in to unmask]>
>
>That's great Susie, but I have a Nook and you can't read Kindle
>books on the Nook without going through a whole bunch of hassle and
>downloading illegal software, from what I've read. Are there plans
>to release your book in any other format?

Hi Kesrael -
There are two ways of legally running Kindle software on a Nook.
(Specifically of running Kindle FERRET BOOKS on the Nook -- obligatory
mention that to make BIG happy).

The first way is to "root" the Nook, which means getting into the
system and removing the restrictions that keep it from being an Android
tablet. I was told how to do this by a Barnes and Noble employee,
their Nook expert. You can then run any android app on it (within the
limitations of it not having a real touchscreen), including the Kindle
app. The manual that they sell for the Nook has a chapter devoted to
rooting the device. It is not illegal. She did say that B&N has not
come out publicly to say whether is might or might not void the
warranty, though, so you might not want to do it.

The second way is to put alternate system stuff on a media card, and
then restart the Nook so it boots from the card. This will not void the
warranty, as you can always just take out the media card and your Nook
will be back to factory specs. You haven't really changed anything.
This is all kosher according to the Nook expert/B&N employee in the
store.
http://nookdevs.com/Nookie_Honeycomb:_Burning_a_bootable_SD_card

The warnings on this page look dire, but again, all you need to do to
return to factory specs is to remove the SD card and restart.

-Hope this helps.
-Claire