From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:51:28 CDT
Hi everyone,

Well, I get laid off Friday.  Luckily, I have set up an AOL account and will
have BIG reroute the FML to it (probably on Thursday or Friday, BIG...I'll
contact you).  If there's anyone in the Huntsville, Alabama area who would
like to get together to discuss FML stuff, I'd really appreciate it.

Um, there have been so many discussions about Cushing's Disease that I can't
remember everything that has been said.  I read something on rec.pets that
I'd like to share.  If it's correct, fine.  If not, maybe someone can e-mail
this person, or post to rec.pets.  The original poster said something about
their ferret losing a lot of hair when a new ferret was introduced to the
household.  This was the response:

    "It sounds like this MIGHT be 'Cushing's Disease', which is a
    problem of the adrenal glands.  Ferrets are prone to adrenal
    tumors, especially females, but it usually doesn't show up until
    after 5 years old.  The classic sign is complete hair loss over
    the body, with the limbs being spared this loss for a time.  Check
    this out with your vet.  Also tell him/her that ACTH levels aren't
    predictable in the ferret, and the best way to diagnose Cushing's
    is ultrasound (this person needs to be experienced, preferrably
    with ferrets).  Tell him/her to check out _Biology and Medicine of
    the Ferret_ by Dr. Fox (can't remember the first name).  This is
    a veterinary textbook on ferrets."

The person who posted this is Chris Bern of the North Carolina State Univ.
College of Veterinary Medicine.  My question about this dealt with the
ultrasound reference.  I didn't know that this could be done.  Can it??  I
thought that the adrenal had to be removed and *then* checked.  I apologize
if I'm off base and if Chris Bern is a member of the FML.  I'm not trying
to flame anyone....I'm just a little confused and am wondering if I should
Chris' email address is:

 -Thanks,

Mark Zmyewski
Systems Analyst (Only until Friday.  If anyone in the Huntsville,
                         Alabama area wants to hire a fellow ferret
                         owner...  :-)  )
Optimization Technology, Inc.
Huntsville, Alabama