From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 15:42:44 -0800
>From:    Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mr. Church and Shelter Comments

I do run a shelter.  Does that make a difference as to whether you'll
listen?

>Unless you run a shelter, or volunteer at a shelter, or walk a mile in a
>shelter operators shoes, you have no right to criticize.  There may be
>shelters out there that aren't PERFECT in your opinion Mr. Church,
>however, you have no right to criticize them.

Off topic analogy to make a point...

I'm white nor not a member of the Klan.  BUT I still criticize racism.  I
feel that despite not being a victim of prejudice nor a practioner I feel
competant to know a problem when I see one.

>you frankly have no right to make such vague generalizations as you have.

I'm actually glad Bob made his comments in a way that didn't point the
finger at anyone in particular.  There are problems in ferret shelters.
They should be addressed.  Bob Church has shown a great understanding of
ferrets and their needs.  Shelters should listen to anyone that can help
them understand their ferrets better, including ferret shelter operators.

>Shelters have problems, however, so do private breeders, ferret farms,
>individuals, etc... Let the people who have decided to devote a significant
>portion of their lives to trying to better the lives of unwanted ferrets
>take care of the shelter problems, and the people who breed privately take
>care of the breeding problems, etc..

Shelter folks should co-operate with breeder folk and with individual
owners.  And yes they should even try to co-operate with the ranches.  Its
pretty darned arrogant to not think that all of these other folk can assist
you in understanding your possible problems.

>Mr. Church, I know you don't care what I say, so I'll leave it at a simple
>fact: You don't have the right to criticize others for doing what their
>hearts tell them is best.  Plain, simple, and to the point.

Back to my my point about the Klan.  They feel in their hearts that they are
right and that they are doing their best.  I will do my best to foil them.

With ferret shelters its not as strong but I applaud those that try to help
resolve the problems with shelters.  Their are problems.  Some shelters at
least in the past have been worse places for ferrets than nearly any
private home.  In general we shelter operators should acknowledge that our
shelters are not as good as private homes or we are 'collectors'.  I won't
debate how many is the right number as that depends upon the individual.
For some 3 ferrets is the limit.  For others it might be 12, 24 or even 48.

How come we aren't debating the facts but instead complaining that "we" as
shelter operators got criticized?

>From:    Jerry Jackowski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Modern Ferrets comments
>How many strangers would you estimate those 5-7 million pet ferrets (Page
>12 of The Ferret An owners guide to a happy healthy pet) could potentially
>have contact with in their lifetime, compared to a dog?  Half?  A quarter?
>An eighth?  I ll bet the number is pretty low.  That one number alone could
>significantly change the statistic.

Our ferrets meet about as many people as our dogs.  Lots of road trips.
Shows and the like.  Our dogs don't get away from the house at all.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets