Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 17:43:53 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/99 2:10:41 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Pam, please rethink your statements.  There is no doubt you do a lot of
>good for ferrets.  Please don't insult the veterinarians who are trying
>to do the same.

Well, I didn't mean any insult, I just know of a lot of vets who charge way
more than others and I'm in the DC area and have some of the best to deal
with.  I also said that right adrenal surgeries deserve a higher fee, and I
didn't even get into the fact that GOOD vets check the kidneys, pancreas,
and other organs while they are in there and do what's needed, sometimes at
no charge.

What I'm griping about are vets who charge way over the norm.  I know of
one vet who's adrenal prices went from a very affordable $150 to over $400
just because the head vet at the clinic called around and found out that
the other less preferred vets were charging more, so he had to up the
prices at his clinic too.  [prices are not actual to protect the clinic,
but the proportion sure is]

My ultimate question - is this conditon, which according to my survey
happens to eleven percent of all ferrets, really that expensive to do?  I
can spend an afternoon on the phone and find prices like these: $185, $245,
$455, $650 - there is almost a 300% price hike between the first and last
figures.  I can call the same clinics and get prices for spays at $75 to
$150.

So, let's say an adrenal is twice as complicated as a spay - then adrenal
fees should range between $150 and $300.  I'm not seeing that in the
earlier set of phone calls.  I'm also seeing vets experimenting with drugs
that are doing fantastic things to supress the signs of adrenalism - which
most people are going to prefer because it is more affordable than surgery.
But the REAL crux is that ferrets get dumped at shelters a third of the
time because they are sick and the owner does not want to pay for surgery.
So the shelter has the surgery done, otherwise no one will adopt the
ferret.  AT LEAST SHELTERS DESERVE A BREAK ON ADRENAL SURGERY FEES.  I made
that happen; I was using two different vets at one time, both charging me
less than the cost of a spay.

All I think we should do as ferret people is hold the line to a reasonable
cost.  The only way to do that is to shop around and make deals.  I know
some people can't be sold.  For example, I know of a vet in Florida who
was willing to perform free adrenal surgeries at his school for a shelter
if the ferrets would be transported.  The Florida shelter considered the
drive too long, despite having over 50 ferrets needing adrenal surgery.

If the fees for such surgeries are within reason, then vets will get more
ferrets in as clients, and owners won't hold back until there is no choice
but surgery, euthanisia, or abandonment.  My earlier post may have been
unrealistic as to compare spays and adrenals as the same cost operation,
but the concept is still sound.  Adrenals are too overpriced for many
people, and instead of calling around, they take other less costly
alternatives.  It is not fair to the ferrets, the owners and the shelters.
One reason pet health insurers will never cover ferrets is because the
surgeries are too costly.  We have to do something, and all I am offering
is an idea.

Pam