From:
Katherine Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:05:31 -0500
For Florida folks:

We now have House and Senate bills mandating a quarantine for ferret bites
with proof of rabies vaccination.  The House Bill (HB3115) has passed the
House Agriculture Committee thus far.  The Senate Bill (SB1384) has not yet
gone to the Senate Agriculture Committee.  PLEASE...start writing your
legislators, particularly those on the Senate Agriculture Committee asking
them to support the Bill.  I can provide you the names of the members of
this committee if you contact me.

It also wouldn't hurt to write your representatives as the House Bill will
(hopefully) make it to the floor very soon.

The folks of Brevard County have done a great job getting these bills
sponsored.  Representative Futch has been a great help to them (and to all
of us Floridians) in helping get the Bill through the House and for finding
a Senate sponsor (Senator Forman).  Even though the State Health Department
has recommended a quarantine, they have authorized local health departments
to use more stringent guidelines, if they so desire.  This legislation would
mandate the quarantine.  It is very critical.

Please, Please, Please...start writing letters, emailing, calling, etc.

If you need specific information on whom to contact, either email me or you
can access the information at <www.leg.state.fl.us>.

Katharine Long