From:
SukieCrandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 17:22:08 -0500
>A cold is running rampant among my fuzzbutts.  That means Amoxi cocktails
>and rounds of duck soup for several weasels.  The other night I was hand
>...flipped that wad of duck soup over his head and into the kitchen wall.
>Guess he told me!

LOL!  They do not get human cold viruses, BTW, so probably influenza or a
sinus infection.

Here's a tip (which you can ignore if you did it but it might help someone
else): warm the soup to body temp or a bit higher so that they smell is
stronger.  This is also very useful when Lasix/Furosemide is used since
that makes mucus membranes drier so reduces sense of smell.

     ---

You'd think that in almost 20 years with ferrets in the family (as of
coming June) we'd have ferret-proofing down pat.  We did, too.  Then
yesterday 5 year old Ashling (the one who lost both adrenals and has been
on Florinef and Pred for over maybe two years so far as a result) figured
out how to climb something that she and none of the others had ever been
able to climb in all these years (It preceded ferrets.).  Arrrggghhhhhh!

     ---

Hey, Rev :-) , you make great sense!  Did you know that there was Medieval
saying that pretty much comes down to: "There is no swifter evil than a
rumor spread.."?

   ---

Warp who is 7 and 3/4 years old is not doing well.  She's not a surgical
candidate due to other health problems and due to almost dying in each of
two earlier life-saving surgeries for a very unusual one of those, but her
insulionoma --which had stayed stable on small dose of Pred of over 7
months finally has taken off big time, so between dose increase and the
addition of Proglycem we are working to try make her life better for as
long as possible.  Will be happy if she has another 3 good months in her
at this point, and exstatic if she has 6 or more.  She has a lot of
things wrong, but if we can give her happiness than it's worth it all.

   ---

>The poster stated something about Avecon telling her that ADV-F does not
>show up for six weeks after exposure.  I had not heard this nor is it in
>the handouts I have.  Can someone who is "in the know" elaborate on this?
>I am confused by that statement.

She's confused -- which is why the statement is so confusing.  Here is the
reality: Maternal antibodies acquired from nursing stay in a kit's body
for around 6 weeks (used to be thought to be 8 weeks).  Those antibodies
mess up test results.  As a result the tests can not be given with any
level of accuracy at all earlier than an age of 6 weeks.  A kit and any
other ferret can show up positive as rapidly as 2 weeks after exposure
(and very possibly earlier than that according to Judy who knows her
stuff).  There has been a LOT of confusing misinformation out there and
even some dangerous misquoting which I hope has stopped (preferably
before the folks get themselves sued for their misinterpretations or for
spreading them).  By now you likely will have seen ACCURATE data at:
and
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/ .

Oh, and DO read vet Bruce Williams' IMPORTANT posts later in the message
section at the Ferret Health List to see the importance of RE-testing when
there is cause with tests that have a long background of study in how to
read them most accurately, and which tests those are!  Non-members can
read the FHL messages.  Hope this helps!  Don't believe me at face value
since I am NOT anything near an expert; instead trust reputable and
knowledgeable folks like Judy and the vets (of whom I am only providing a
pale echo)!  Go see for yourself!