From:
Barbara Wiborg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:12:16 -0500
About 25 years ago, I just had a cat and was looking to get another pet
that was a little different and was thinking about getting a rabbit. A
co-worker of mine was always telling me crazy stories about her son's
ferrets. I had never heard of or seen a ferret before. When I went to
her house for her 50th birthday party, her son introduced me to Slinky,
one of his three ferrets. I fell in love with Slinky immediately! I
said "I don't know what this thing is, but I've got to have one!"

I went out and bought a little cage, kitten food and some toys. Then I
went to the local pet store in town that carried ferret kits and picked
one out. A tiny black sable kit I named Lucy. She was a holy terror
and got into everything! I learned really quickly all about ferret
proofing! She was a real sweetheart tho! For sure, the smartest and
most emotional ferret I have ever had or met. I soon went back to the
pet store and brought home a tiny, shy, white-footed sable girl I named
Greta. Greta was Lucy's sidekick. Where Lucy went, Greta followed. They
had opposite personalities but they complimented each other and were
best friends.

Since then, I have had 7 more, two of which I have now, Chelsea and
Moose. The only time I haven't had ferrets was the 2 years I lived
in California. :o(

Back then, there wasn't much information about ferrets in books, so
I looked on-line. I found the FML and discovered the "Modern Ferret"
magazine. I learned a lot from both sources. I also made several good
friends along the way.

Ferrets are my life. Some people think I am crazy but I don't care. My
ferrets have been there for me in good times and bad, and know when I
am down and need a kiss or a good laugh to bring me back up. Sometimes
I call them my "therapets". Friends tell me I take better care of my
animals than most people take care of their kids. That is a nice
compliment, but my ferrets ARE my kids! My customers call me the
"ferret lady" and my brother calls me the "ferret whisperer". :o)

Barbara

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains
unawakened." Anatole France