From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:18:29 -0600
Q:"Why do you (and others) advise that ferrets not be fed garlic? [or
onion]"

A: Its hard to get them to eat after-dinner mints and their breath is
horrible. And the belching and gas....

Both onion and garlic belong to the same group of plants, and are generally
refered to together as allium.  Several animals have shown toxic effects
when fed high amounts of allium, including cattle, sheep, horses, and dogs.
Some evidence suggests cats and ferrets are also in danger.

The problem is a volatile oil called n-propyl disulphide (a strong
irritant; makes you cry).  The ingestion of this compound causes Heinz
bodies inside red blood cells.  These red blood cells are then removed by
the body at a higher rate than normal, causing anemia.  Symptoms include a
loss of desire to eat, tachycardia, staggering, jaundice, haemoglobinuria,
collapse and occasional death; all signs of basic anemia.

It is important to note that the problems only occur in instances where
the diet is constant and heavy with allium.  There is no evidence the
occasional ingestion of the oil causes any long-term problems, and several
studies show the opposite; small amounts of the compound may increase the
ability of the immune system to fight viral infections.  I might point out
that neither the good nor bad effects have been *proven* with *ferrets*,
are far as I can tell from the available literature.

I think the real danger is not with healthy animals, but with it's use in
duck soup and other foods designed to promote the health of ill or dying
ferrets.  These animals are already stressed, and allium compounds may
cause unforseen problems.  This may be a hypothetical argument, but why
take the risk with sick or debilitated ferrets?  Personally, the occasional
injestion by healthy ferrets would not worry me.  I have found, however,
that some people simply don't read or understand things told them, so while
I privately say it isn't much of a problem if occassionaly fed in small
amounts to healthy ferrets, I do not advocate the position publically.  Its
so much easier just to say, "Don't use it."

Q:"I know ferrets need taurine.  I also know that taurine is in meat, but
what I don't know is if meat baby foods would provide enough taurine for a
sick ferret.  Any thoughts?

A: Dirty or clean?  Or involving the color red?

Taurine is an amino acid where low levels have been shown to cause retinal
degeneration in cats (C. D. Aguirre, 1978 J.A.V.M.A. 172:791), and may
cause similar problems in ferrets.  It is linked to dilated cardiomyopathy
(P. Pion etal 1987 Science 237:764) at taurine levels that *prevent*
retinal degeneration.  Taurine has many functions; it is important in
retinal mantainence, it is a neurotransmitter, and it is extremely
important as a component of bile salts, used in fat absorption.

In almost all animals, taurine can be synthesized, so is not an essential
amino acid.  In a few species, primary carnivores for the most part,
taurine is *NOT* made by the body (since it is found in quantity in
consumed animal bodies) and *IS* an essential amino acid.  Cats have been
identified as an animal where taurine is essential, but it is not listed as
essential in the Fox book on ferrets (2nd ed).  I ran multiple searches on
Medline, Current Contents and Biological Abstracts, and could find *NO*
paper supporting the idea that taurine is an essential amino acid for
ferrets.  Since taurine is synthesized from cystine, and both are contained
in quantity in animal tissues, a diet of animal protein solves the problem,
provided it is not cooked to denaturation.

I have read in a few wildlife nutrition books that taurine is more
important than supposed, and should included in primary carnivore diets.
This is not a problem in a natural-based diet because taurine is naturally
found in animal tissues.  The historical problem in cats has been in the
manufacturing of cat food; a process in which cooking temperatures denature
the taurine, leaving a net loss of the amino acid.  Dog food, historically
high in plant proteins and low in overall protein content, can result in
low taurine levels when fed to cats.  But, while the food is unhealthy for
ferrets, again, there are no published reports a dog food diet results in
taurine problems.

As for the taurine in baby foods, I honestly do not know if it would be a
problem or not.  Humans can synthesize taurine, so it wouldn't be something
of concern in making the foods, and to be honest, I could find no mention
of it in the literature.  I know the mechanical process of making the food
would not harm taurine; my only concern would be in the heating process.
There is an easy way to get around the problem if it seriously concerns
you; a few drops of a cat taurine supplement dripped into the duck soup
wouldn't cause any harm.  Probably unnecessary, but harmless.

One final thought.  Even though there is a remarkable lack of literature
linking the need of taurine to ferrets, ferrets have some common problems
that may or may not be symptomatic of low taurine levels; namely, dilated
cardiomyopathy and retinal degeneration.  It is possible that, even in the
current absence of established needs, that a link may exist; perhaps only
in a small number of ferrets possessing some recessive trait.  So buying
food containing taurine, or even buying a small bottle of taurine
supplement and adding it to "foods for the sick" may be a help, and it
certainly wouldn't hurt.  If nothing else, you could be buying piece of
mind, even if the addition of taurine is unnecessary.

Bob C and 20 Mo' Biochemical Beasts