From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:34:08 -0400
Hi again, I posted a few days ago regarding my friend Renee's ferret Smokey
who had already gone through two adrenal surgeries and was continuing to
have symptoms including sexual behaviour and aggression.  The most worrying
and recent symptom was obvious prostate problems and blood showing in his
urine.  Our vet went in for another exploratory surgery yesterday, here's
what he found: (posted with permission) - Robynn

"Smokey had his 3rd adrenal surgery yesterday.  The first was in Dec., the
2nd in May.  Since the symptoms remained and there was now blood in his
urine, on Monday Dr. Dan (Hudson) said that if I was bringing him in for
the first time, he would suspect an adrenal tumor.  (That's what he said
before the 2nd surgery, too!)  So, we scheduled it for yesterday as an
exploratory, with the opportunity to look at everything.

When I went to pick Smokey up, Dr. Hudson showed me a large piece of
tissue, he described as "What I think is causing all the problems." Without
going into details, it appears that there was some adrenal tissue in the
fat behind his left kidney.  It was ALL removed and probably was a remnant
of the first tumor that was embedded in the fat moved for his first
surgery.  Dr. Hudson does not think it was a metastasis because of the
history, location, etc., but we will know when we get the pathology report
back.

Anyway, Smokey is recovering.  He seems much more affected by this surgery
than the last one.  He is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing - what more
could a ferret mom ask?  Again, thanks for all your thoughts.

Renee :) & the thrice-adrenalectomized Smokey